Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Verdict Is In.....

     So the day after I started feeling better from all the bloating was my blood draw, Feb. 7th.  Once the bloating went down I noticed that there was what seemed like a little baby bump...what????!!!!! I was only 3 weeks, IF the process had worked so I shouldn't have been showing yet...but there was nothing else it could have been!  I got super excited.  One of the nurses at the center is pregnant with triplets and she started showing by week 2, so I was hoping that my belly meant that both eggs had taken.  Twins is ideal, triplets or more would be a little much!!! One is even amazing.  I'll be happy with what ever the Lord blesses us with.
    The morning of the 7th I was feeling very confident that the process had worked so I decided to take a pregnancy test before I went in for the blood draw.  I have never done that before with the inseminations because I was always nervous of getting a faulty test and being either excited or sad for no reason, so I always opted to wait for the official result.  BUT this morning the test came back with a clear dark second line... POSITIVE!!!!!!  I was ecstatic and wanted to tell the world, while at the same time still hesitant to share the news so early.
    I went and had my blood drawn at 9:00 am and then kept myself busy with my wonderful friend Dawn until I got the official results call at 2:30.  The nurse on the other line told me that I was "VERY PREGNANT!!!!!"  I was 4 weeks and at a 517 HCG level.  The highest I ever got with my previous positive results was a 250.  This high number brought me even more peace and excitement.  Some people swear by HCG levels and that they indicate possible multiples when the number is really high and an impending miscarriage when they are really low.  Others think they are worthless.  For me and in my experience my numbers coincided with the pregnancy strength, so I was very happy with my 517.  Here is the chart for the average ranges.


Beta hCG level chart

hCG levels during pregnancy

(in weeks since last menstrual period)
3 weeks LMP
5 - 50 mIU/ml
4 weeks LMP
5 - 426 mIU/ml
5 weeks LMP18 - 7,340 mIU/ml
6 weeks LMP1,080 - 56,500 mIU/ml
7 - 8 weeks LMP7, 650 - 229,000 mIU/ml
9 - 12 weeks LMP25,700 - 288,000 mIU/ml
13 - 16 weeks LMP13,300 - 254,000 mIU/ml
17 - 24 weeks LMP4,060 - 165,400 mIU/ml
25 - 40 weeks LMP3,640 - 117,000 mIU/ml
non pregnant55-200 ng/ml


     I told most people that my blood draw wasn't until the following week so that Beau and I could take our time with our own excitement and tell our family and close friends first.  I was glad we had done this.  I still feel VERY odd sharing the results while I am still so early on in the pregnancy, but also feel it could potentially be therapeutic to share no matter which direction things go.
     My mama bear protection instinct kicked in immediately to protect my babies and keep my routine relaxed so I didn't cause unnecessary stress.  I started doing exactly what my body told me.  If I was hungry, I ate.  If I was tired, I napped and if I just sat and did nothing because I couldn't find the energy to move, I just let it be.  I was told that my ovaries were still enlarged and if I tried to workout or bounce around in anyway that they could actually twist around themselves...YIKES and no thanks! I have kept things very relaxed for the last couple days.  My focus is all on my baby belly :) I rub it every day... love it.  POSITIVE   POSITIVE     POSITIVE     POSITIVE!!!!
     Keep the prayers coming that things go smooth though!  I have definitely thought of all the prayers and thoughts that have been directed our way over the last couple weeks/months and it is overwhelming to me in such a good way.  I can't even begin to tell you all how much the love and support means to me.  It keeps me thinking positive and moving forward... THANK YOU!!!

2 comments:

  1. Leslie, that is so exciting! I have been praying for you that everything would work out, and I've been stalking your blog lately to see if you had posted anything new. I am so excited for you! I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep praying for you. Congratulations!
    P.S. I am so sorry to hear about your ovary getting twisted. That sounds incredibly painful. Take care ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAY YEAY YEAY!!! Joe and I always keep you guys in our prayers!! We are always asking Molly and Shane for updates on you guys! We are super excited for you guys!! I wanted to have twins first too...I always thought that even though it would be tough you get the tough first couple of months over with two babies at once! Hopefully it's twins!!!

    ReplyDelete