Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Ovaries Should Be Pink...NOT Black!!!!

  Yesterday I experienced what I think may have been the worst and most painful day of my life!!!! I started to feel a little sick earlier in the day then usual, so I just sat and made phone calls that needed to be done.  I finally went and took at nap at 3:00 pm.  I woke up at 6:00 pm to what I thought was the worst gas pain ever.  I sat in the bathroom with my butt in the air for about 15 minutes before I realized the sharp sharp pain was not moving and it was getting worse FAST.
    I couldn't help but start crying.  For me to cry over stomach pain takes a lot because I have lived with it for so long.  I was crying uncontrollably because the pain was extremely intense.  I collapsed on the bathroom floor with my pants still around my knees.  I tried to call Beau at work, but got his voicemail.  I tried 3 more times before calling his boss, only to get his voicemail as well.  I truly felt like I was going to die or pass out and no one would know.  I called the on-call line for the fertility center after hours and I got that voicemail!!!! Beau called right then and the only thing I could verbalize was that I needed him to come home.  I started puking in the garbage can while trying to talk to Beau.  I was able to get the on-call nurse on the phone and merge her in my call with Beau.  Beau talked to her while I cried and puked.
    Beau was home from work in literally 2 minutes.  He works about 7 minutes away.  He came in the bathroom and scooped me up.  He put pants on me and carried me to his truck, which he had kept running.  I laid the seat back and just balled and moaned the whole way to the hospital.  The hospital is about 10-15 minutes away and Beau was there in 5 minutes... don't ask :) haha.  He also multi-tasked and gave me a blessing that things would be okay while he drove.  I am grateful he honors his priesthood and was able to give me a little peace in such a chaotic moment.
      He pulled up to the emergency entrance, grabbed me out of the truck and went running into the ER.  They opened all the doors immediately.  They had him put down in a chair and some lady tried to ask me really dumb questions until I started puking in her trash can and couldn't get a single word out to answer her dumb questions.
     My body started to shake uncontrollably, my teeth were chattering like crazy, my limbs were super stiff, I was hyperventilating and the sharp pain was unbelievable on my left side.  I knew that my left ovary was where the issue was.  They laid me down on a bed and tried to put an IV in my arm, but I was shaking so bad and my veins are crappy anyways that the lady ended up getting blood everywhere by the time she finally got the needle in.  My pants were ruined, but at that moment I didn't care.  I continued to tell them to do nothing that would harm my baby/babies, but begged for them to do something about the pain.  They gave me 1 shot of morphine and it did NOTHING.  I had to wait 10 minutes before they would do the next shot.  I got a 2nd shot of morphine.  Another 10 minutes passed and still not the slightest relief from the pain.  I got a 3rd shot of morphine, which was followed by 2 shots of Dilaudid.  None of the meds made a dent in the pain.  I kept begging them to do something else.  I asked if they would just put me under anesthesia, but they wouldn't because I had to talk to the doctor when she got there.  I prayed to pass out so I just wouldn't feel it any more, but instead I got to endure 3.5 hours of the most excruciating pain I have ever felt.  Beau was good at being forceful, but still keeping his cool when he wanted to punch quite a few of the nurses in the ER.  He was told they were taking me in to do an ultrasound and it would be a 15 minute wait.  This was between the morphine shots.  After no improvement with my pain and after 20 minutes Beau asked again when I would go in for an ultrasound and he was told that another patient had just gone in and we had to wait for them.  He was ready to kill!
     Finally they took me in for an ultrasound and discovered that my left ovary was the size of an orange when it should have been between an almond to a small-egg size.  The other doctor from the fertility center (Dr. Gerchen) got to the ER right before the ultrasound and from that point I was rushed into surgery prep.
    I hadn't been able to open my eyes for the last couple hours because the pain was so bad, so I didn't know who was around me and I didn't care.  The nurses tried to modestly take my clothes off and get me into a gown, but I just ripped everything off...whatever would get me under anesthesia sooner was what I did.  Beau patiently let me squeeze the life out of his hand the whole time, while my other hand was squeezing hands and legs of random people trying to cope.  I had no regard for how awkward others may have felt with my moaning, crying, begging and squeezing.  I didn't care in the slightest, I just needed the pain to stop.  Right before they took me into surgery some stupid lady asked me to rate my pain between 1-10.  I wanted to ring her neck and told her it was a bizzilion!!!!
     I remember finally being in the operating room still writhing in pain, but knowing that relief was coming soon.  I begged the anesthesiologist to put me under ASAP.  They made me move myself on to the operating table and that is the last thing I remember...thank heavens!!!!
    I went in to the O.R at 9:45ish pm and came out around 10:30 pm.  I don't remember anything till about 12:30 am.  They made us stay overnight because it was so late and Dr. Foulk would be in to see me the next morning.  I had never stayed overnight in the hospital before, but Beau stayed with me the whole night.  They brought him in a cot.  We were told that my left ovary was actually BLACK!!! It had twisted around itself 2 times and all the blood was cut off.  This is called Ovarian Torsion.  It could have been very serious had it died and fallen off or ruptured inside me. It could have caused internal bleeding and create potentially fatal infections...YIKES!  The doctor was able to untwist it and within 5 minutes the pink color started to return, which meant I would not lose my ovary...phew!  We were also told that having an ovary twist is one of the most painful things a person can experience and I would agree.  I have NEVER felt anything even close to that kind of pain and especially with NO relief for hours!
Where the arrow is pointing is where it is twisted... OUCH!
My Left Ovary...Completely BLACK! and the size of an Orange
This is after they untwisted it and the pink started to come back. 
Feeling MUCH better and excited I have a coveted hospital cup...lol
My amazing husband roughing it with me all night in the hospital.  We were woken up every 2 hours by the nurses to check vitals and pain meds.  Glad the night is over. 
     Dr. Foulk came in this morning and told me that he felt my pregnancy was not affected.  There was no rupturing or seepage of anything that could have damaged the uterus.  Dr. Gerchen has checked the uterus while she was inside me and said the wall/lining was good and everything looked ok.  There are only guesses as to how this Ovarian Torsion happened.  I have been so good about not working out or playing volleyball so as not to bounce my ovaries.  It was simply suggested to REALLY take it easy until my ovaries are back down to almond size.  They are still small-egg sized since the retrieval.  I didn't realize it took so long for them to go back to normal size.  My left ovary grew to the size of an orange when the blood flow was cut off and it became inflamed severly.
     I am home now and back on "bed rest/princess days", but this time I am fine with sitting and doing nothing.  I will sit as long as I have to in order to never have pain like that again.  Beau's mom is super sweet and is coming back down to take care of me.  I am super grateful for her selflessness, but feel bad taking up all her time :)  I have Loritab to manage the pain.  My whole body is achey and stiff.  It is almost like my whole body just went through a vigourous full body work out.  All the shaking, tenseness, chattering, and everything else wiped my body out.  I feel the same way I did after the endometriosis surgery, but knowing that my pregnancy should be ok and that my ovary was saved makes me ok to wait out the post-op pains.  I have a few tests scheduled for this Thursday to make sure the pregnancy is still doing well and all the stress my body was under didn't adversely affect the embryo(s).  Keep the prayers coming!!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Leslie this made me cry and smile. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. All part of the plan I guess....experience the pain to know pleasure and taste the bitter to know the sweet. I am so glad you are okay and pray that sweet baby will be also. Love you girl. Let me know if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness...I am so glad that your baby/babies is/are ok!!! And can I tell you that everytime I use my hospital cup Joe always makes a comment about how he wants one...so I tell him when he has a baby then he can get one hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie I'm so glad that you are keeping this blog. Even when I talk to you right after things happen, you totally make things seem nonchalant. You told me it was the worst pain ever... but I had no idea. Seriously, after everything you have gone through... things like child birth and taking care of new born babies is going to be so easy for you! We pray for you every night and we have been for like 2 years. And we'll continue until some mini leslies (or mini beaus) join your family!

    ReplyDelete