Saturday, February 16, 2013

Emergency Surgery... Round Two!!!!

    Thursday morning I went in to have my blood drawn and possibly have an ultrasound to make sure that my uterus was doing ok from all the stress.  The HCG level came back at 3200, which is good.  They did an inter-vaginal ultrasound and checked the blood flow to my ovaries.  There were lots of red and blue dots on the screen, which meant blood was going to both ovaries.  They moved on to the uterus and could see one sac for sure that looked strong... and a possible second, but it looked kind of weak and may not survive because of all the stress.  Obviously I am hoping that it does, but it is understandable if not.  I am ecstatic to have even one!
   So I thought things were going well with recovery and decided to take my afternoon nap.  At 1:00 I woke up to the same excruciating pain that I had on Monday... EXTREME Sharp, burning, gas-like pain.  I called UFC immediately and told them I was coming back in.  Thankfully Beau's mom has been with us since Monday, so I told her we needed to go right away.  Once I got in the car I called Beau and told him I was going in and would let him know if it got serious again...that was dumb.  I should have just told him to get to UFC.
    The pain got worse and worse by the second.  By the time I was at the center I was balling again and begging for help.  Dr. Foulk had me turn over on my hands and knees thinking that it would lessen the pressure off my ovary.  It didn't help.  I begged him to go into surgery and he said he wanted to wait till Beau was there and talk to both of us.  I was kind of annoyed by that because I didn't understand why.  I felt like I waited an eternity before finally yelling "Where is Beau?".  I thought someone had called him and told him to hurry, but after talking to Beau no one had made it sound urgent.  He was at a business lunch and was just told that it might be a good idea if he came to be with his wife...uhhhhh, wrong way of saying hurry up, its an emergency! Legally, I guess Beau had to sign consents before they could take me to surgery... love the technicalities!
     Finally Beau arrived with everyone he was at lunch with.  One of them was my brother-in-law who was kind enough to come in the room where I was moaning, crying and rocking in pain (still on my hands and knees) and help Beau give me a blessing.  Dr. Foulk was even in the room to help with the blessing (only in Utah :))  I LOVE blessings!! Even in such a chaotic moment I felt peace.  I was able to breath for a few minutes, even though the pain was still there my body stopped shaking and my teeth stopped chattering.
     After the blessing Beau scooped me off the table and ran me to the car.  In the hall was Beau's boss, Daniel, and it was his truck that they had taken to lunch.  Daniel ran and opened the front door and Beau put me in.  Daniel sped down the street to the hospital, which was already supposedly waiting for me with an O.R prepped...not quite.  It went fast, but I still had to sit in pain while they asked me the same questions I had answered a hundred times on Monday.  I would answer a few and then tell them to refer to my charts from Monday and let's just go!! Once again I ripped my clothes off to get in the gown and got on the gurney to go.  They rolled me into a hallway right outside of the O.R to wait while it finished being prepped....ughhhhh.  I was soooo close to relief.  Dr. Gerteif (I thought it was Gerchen) was the operating doctor when they finally wheeled me into the room.  The Anesthesiologist told me relief was coming.  I said Thank You and blacked out...ahhhhhh.
     I woke up around 5:30 pm and Beau and his mom were in the room with me.  I felt like someone had taken a sword and sliced me in half.  They gave me two percosets and they did NOTHING.  It took another 30 min or so before the nurse finally came back with a med that numbed the pain.  I found out that Dr. Foulk had come in and done the operation with Dr. Gerteif.  They untwisted the ovary again and tacked it down this time.  It should not move again.  The right ovary looks perfect.  It is tucked in where it is supposed to be and it is the size it should be.
      We went home around 7:00 pm and I am stuck on the couch for the next TWO WEEKS!!! I should not have complained or stressed about 2 days of princess days.  I think I ginxed myself!  Dr. Foulk called me Friday to check on me and told me that he still feels the pregnancy should be ok... praying he is right.  He also told me that the left ovary seemed to be on a longer stalk, which caused it to move easier with any movement I made.  That is why he decided to tack it down.  He also said he couldn't get the image of me in so much pain out of his head and just felt terrible I had to go through something like that...twice!!! He is a good, caring man.  
      Two surgeries in one week was never a record I anticipated or hoped to hold.  This week has been terrible for that reason, but I've had good company to help pass the time.  I'll be honest that I am pretty frustrated with this situation and I don't understand why it needed to happen.  I'll never know, so I'll just be grateful everything seems to be turning out ok and move on.  I hope and pray it NEVER happens again.  I can't wait to be able to function and at least get myself in and out of bed or go pee by myself!  Oh the high goals I have for myself these days :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh leslie!! I am so sorry that you are going through all this. I am tearing up for you. I hope with all my heart that things get easier and that those babies (or baby) stick it out with you. You will make such an awesome mom!! Thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you don't know me or anything, but my name is Megan and I'm an 18 year old from Ontario.
    I stumbled across your blog when I was doing research on ovarian surgeries.

    I had a cystic torsion when I was eight, but I had to get the entire ovary removed.
    I can relate so well to this, although I feel so bad for how much pain you went through! Mine was probably an 8 on the pain scale, and it went away for short bursts--sometimes.
    I had the option to have the other ovary tacked down so nothing would happen to it, but I didn't want to go through another surgery at the time, and I've been thinking a lot about having the surgery done now.

    Anyways, I was just wondering what the recovery was like after you had your ovary 'tacked' down? If you had any advice, or what the worst parts of it were?
    If you could email me (megan.vanderlaan@hotmail.com) or just reply to this, it would really mean a lot.
    Thank you, and I hope everything is okay now! :)

    ReplyDelete