Thursday, January 24, 2013

Night of Retrieval

     So it is 2:10 am technically Thursday morning... but I am yet to sleep, so it feels like Wednesday to me. Remember how I mentioned I have learned to be grateful for the pain today because tomorrow will probably be worse?  Its true!  I felt just a little sore leaving UFC (Utah Fertility Center) after the procedure.  Of course at that time I was hopped up on good drugs.  I was ok for about an hour once we got home and than conveniently about 10 minutes after Beau left to go back to work (after cooking me a delicious egg-white veggie omelet and turning our couch into the perfect lounge spot) the drugs wore off in an instant.
     My right side felt like a massive muscle cramp mixed with a kidney infection.  I realized I had forgotten to ask Beau to get the heating pad, which the doctor told me would be my best friend for the next day or so.  I tried to lay in a few different positions first to see if I could get it to ease off a bit, but to no avail.  Finally after what seemed like forever, but was probably only a minute or two, I worked up the nerve to get up and hunt down the heating pad.  Luckily it was right where I thought it would be.  I hobbled back to the couch in a slight panic attack because I couldn't breathe from the pain and cranked up the heat.  It took about 30 minutes to relax the cramping a bit. The moment I got back to the couch and had the heat on me I called the doctor and asked for a Rx for pain meds.  The extra strength Tylenol they told me to take was not doing a darn thing.  Dr. Foulk called in the Rx no questions asked...love that :)  Beau picked it up as soon as he could, but it was about an hour and half after the drugs had worn off....phew, it was a long hour and a half.  I haven't taken the heating pad off my stomach/side since I put it on around 3:00 this afternoon.  It really does help.
     My next obstacle has been food.  I have no idea why, but around 10:30 I threw up.  I was bummed because our neighborhood friends had brought us over a super good dinner.  It was a mix of everything I had eaten and none of it was broken down.  It was as if I had just eaten it 10 minutes prior!! Weird, but I feel like with me being so stagnate nothing is digesting right and of course the trauma of the day doesn't help my intestines.  Then on the other end, literally, I am feeling constipated.  This pressure is way worse than the constipation the shots caused.  It doesn't help that my lower abdomen is really sore and pushing is out of the question.  I will make my smoothie first thing in the morning, assuming I fall asleep tonight, and pray things start  moving.
     And then there is walking/moving.  This is what I expected it to be.  I can move if I HAVE to, but I would rather not.  It is an all over soreness that just isn't comfortable, but not sharp pains or anything.
     I started taking 2 pills, Doxocycline (again... took this early in January) and Medrol.  I take both pills together with food twice a day for the next four days...not bad.  I also have to do the Endometrin progesterone suppositories 3 times a day.  These are the horse pills up the crotch I mentioned back in our insemination cycles.  These suppositories are a little more expensive then the progesterone shots, but so much cleaner and easier mentally to do.  The only downfall is the discharge...wear a panty liner and take extras with you where ever you go.
     Since they let my eggs grow for an extra day it pushed things back a bit and the transfer will be Monday.  I am actually kind of glad I have a longer time between the retrieval and the transfer than I expected because I feel like my body will calm down a bit by then and be ready for the next hurdle.
     Three things to end with:  First; I misunderstood.  5-7 eggs/ovary is the average...not the minimum.  Second; my final egg count was not 28... it was 39!!!!! We should be able to freeze a few, which makes me super excited.  Third; now that we are getting closer to the results of the process, I am questioning why I have been so open to share my story.  My biggest regret from my two previous pregnancies, which ended in miscarriages, was telling family and a few friends when it was WAY to early to share the news.  The idea of doing that again scares me.  I do feel good about this blog and I feel my purposes in writing it have and are being accomplished.  I am trying to be ok with the idea of lots of people either celebrating with me or crying with me to get over it and on to the next try.  I hope for the first scenario :)
     God is in the details of our lives!  Good night.

4 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you are so open with your story. I know for me it helps me put things into perspective. I had a hard time getting pregnant but when I hear stories like yours I can re-evaluate how not so difficult things were for me. I mean I still feel that it was a struggle for me but it makes me realize that there is always someone that is have a worse time so I shouldn't get depressed or feel hopeless so thank you for being so open I love reading your blog!! If you ever need anything please feel free to contact me!!! Even if you just want some company :o)! Remember "the only difference between stepping stones and stumbling blocks is how we use them”! This is just a stepping stone in the great master plan Heavenly Father has in store for you! You can do it, just hang in there!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. k i forgot to add your blog to my blog list... so i haven't been seeing your updates. I just added it and got myself all caught up! :-) I wish i could come over and help you with things... but bringing the kids would only add more problems. know that Im "thinking" about al the things I would love to do for you right now :-) haha love you leslie! You really are one of those rare people that are beautiful inside and out and so so strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for being so open about your story! We have a long history of infertility too and are possibly doing IVF in the next few months and reading through so many posts has REALLY opened my eyes! Congrats by the way. so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly,
      I am glad to know my ranting/venting has done something worth while :). I wish you all the best with IVF. Everyone's story is different and I pray that yours will have a happy result...however that result comes about. If I can ever do anything for you, please don't hesitate to ask. Infertility is a B! so even if you just need to vent...reach out.
      Thank you...we are VERY excited for our lil ones!! Such a miracle.

      Delete